Sunday, June 21, 2015

[Wireless Room Temperature Monitoring System] 3D Printed enclosure final result !

After so many weeks of inactivy (I have very good reasons i promise) i finally had the time to finish the CAD file for the enclosure and to get it printed at my local store in Alsace :)

Here is the final result. It is far from perfect unfortunately. I didnt plan for the support to get merged with some of the structure i designed. Also some of the structure were too small and had small hanging part, under which support material was still put and unfortunately ... i had to cut the whole thing to make it work. Here are a few thing that i would do differently next time :


On the left, i was too optimistic to have the small bump to guide the arduino mini pro ... unfortunately since there was hanging part over it, the bumps got merged with the support material ... i ended up remove the whole top part. Same issue with the one in the middle ... the support material added by the 3D printing software screwed the print. On the right, i made a different mistake to put the screwing hole for the temperature sensor above a another guide... i didnt plan for the support material for the screwing hole to merge with the structure below ...

Here are the pictures of the final result ! Let me know your thoughts or suggestions !

From aboce
With the components

With the lid
Without the lid 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Philippe! I read your blog, it's amazing. I would like to build an outdoor wireless temperature sensore too. Could you tell me how many hours/days/weeks it works on a 9V battery? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter, Thank you for your comment and for the compliment for the blog :) I am glad my work can help other makers around the world.
      Regarding power management, this is actually work in progress to make it really efficient. So far the 9V battery is being destroyed within a day or 2 ... i havent measured it accurately but for sure my setup is not efficient.

      I will need to tweak the code in order to have the system go on sleep mode between temp measurement and transmissions (every 60 sec maybe ...)

      I will also try to have a rechargeable 3V battery with a boost to 5V in order to have an easy and cheap to recharge power source... (9V battery are crazy expensive, i just used that for prototyping)

      If you have any suggestion, don't hesitate :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Philippe!

      Thank you for the answer. I've got yesterday everything to build my own wireless temp sensor. I'd like to log the temperature every 5 or 10 minutes, maybe the Arduino could "sleep" between two measurements. One possible way to reduce the consumption is to turn off the status LED on the board.

      I found this: http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/49182/how-can-a-let-my-atmega328-run-for-a-year-on-batteries

      Delete
    3. He Peter,
      So what's up with your project !? did you get anywhere ? Personally i didn't do anything for weeks unfortunately !

      Delete
  2. Hi Philippe,
    I don't have much time to do something with that... :(
    I hope that in few days I could start the project.

    ReplyDelete